Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Find a Job That's Worth Living For!

Scuba Diving - Mauritius 

Alright, let's face it. A gigantic proportion of your life will be spent working. Very few escape the trap of a 9-5 job. And let's face another aspect of it. It will SUCK. Big time. Drain the life and energy from you. Bore you to tears. Drive you crazy. Make you miserable.

So what can you do about it? What you can do is look at your options. Many people seem to jump straight onto the tracks with a job and away they go. Years go on and they might still be stuck on the same tracks. When I had this issue, I started getting imaginative about it. And just started exploring more options.

When not working, I stopped doing the things I always did on auto-pilot (stuck on youtube, flickin through TV channels, mindless chit-chat with whoever etc), I sat down in a quiet space and started imagining. I said to myself "If I could do anything in the world, what would I do?". I had complete freedom of thought. I could do anything.

I thought to myself "What I really want is to be happy. I don't need millions in the bank to be happy. I just need enough to fund a good lifestyle and save a little". The enjoyment doesn't come from the millions in the bank. The enjoyment comes from bouncing out of bed with energy because I'm doing a job that is fun. It doesn't suck the life out of me.

I look forward to doing it. That, to me, is worth more than millions in the bank. You might slave away for years and finally make a million, but you also might have been miserable that whole time making the money. Now, that you do have the money, you might be in such a miserable state that you wouldn't even know how to enjoy it. How to have fun with it.

Start looking for jobs that would be exciting. If you love travelling, try and become a travel writer. If you love diving, become a diving instructor in somewhere like South East Asia. Why not? You only get one shot at life. Travel the coasts of Australia as a surfing instructor. Open your own hostel in some sort of jungle/paradise location. Teach English in Thailand or Vietnam. The point is to shoot for the things in your imagination that get you buzzing the most. These jobs don't pay huge salaries but imagine the adventures you'll have.

No comments:

Post a Comment